Registered Practical Nurse (RPN)
Depending on the complexity of the care required, the services of a Registered Practical Nurse may be required. Our Registered Practical Nurses provide nursing care with a defined scope of practice dictated by the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO).
All Registered Practical Nurses employed by Exclusive Care Services:
• Must be a current member and in good standing with the College of Nurses of Ontario (CNO). They must possess a valid, unrestricted licence to practice in the province of Ontario.
• Must possess a Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate.
• Must provide evidence of flu shots.
• Must be screened for Tuberculosis (TB).
• Have completed the Workplace Hazardous Materials Information System (WHMIS) education.
• Have had recent mandatory Criminal Record Checks.
The duties of our Registered Practical Nurses are to provide appropriate care, comfort, and education to our clients and their family member(s). The care provided will vary, but it is based on the nursing process of assessing needs; seeking the most effective care model (primarily done during our initial Complimentary Assessment); developing a Personal Care Plan; the delivery of the services outlined by the Personal Care Plan; and ongoing monitoring of the services delivered to ensure effectiveness.
Specific duties of our Registered Practical Nurses may include:
• The provision of client-centred bedside care
• Maintaining aseptic techniques, including sterile dressings
• Monitoring nutritional intake and output
• Ensuring infection control
• Monitoring established respiratory therapy and intravenous therapies
• Monitoring and recording the client’s progress and care effectiveness
• Administering and performing medical treatments as directed
• Operating and monitoring medical apparatus or equipment
• Assisting family physicians with examinations and/or procedures
• Assistance with eating, bathing, dressing, basic hygiene, and Activities of Daily Living
• Serving as an advocate for the client
• Providing safety and health education to the client and their family member(s)
It is important that our clients are active participants in their own care. Our Registered Practical Nurses regularly interact and communicate with our clients and their loved ones. This is particularly important in cases where multiple health issues exist. Our RPNs will provide emotional support, particularly for those in extreme pain or suffering from chronic illnesses.
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." - Sir Winston Churchill