Occupational Therapist (OT)
All Occupational Therapists employed by Exclusive Care Services are registered with the College of Occupational Therapists of Ontario (COTO). The COTO is an organization established by the Ontario government to protect the public interest, by setting standards for practice, and having programs in place to see that Occupational Therapists practice safely and effectively.
Occupational Therapists work on breaking down the barriers that impede individuals in their everyday activities. They examine not only the physical effects of an injury or disease, but they also address the psychosocial, community and environmental factors that influence function. They consider the word “occupation” as everything people do to occupy themselves, including looking after themselves (self care), enjoying life (leisure), and contributing to the social and economic fabric of their communities (work/productivity).
Depending on the client’s situation, an Occupational Therapist may check:
• Physically what can/cannot be done (strength, coordination, balance, abilities)
• Mentally what can/cannot be done (memory, organization skills, coping strategies, mental abilities)
• What materials are used to participate in occupations (work tools, furniture, cooking utensils, clothes, or other materials)
• The social and emotional support available at home, school, work, and in the community
• The physical set-up of a house, school, workplace, community, and other environments
Many Occupational Therapists use the Canadian Occupational Performance Measure (COPM), which measures changes in the client’s ability to perform occupations over a period of time. It measures how important the activity is to the client, and how satisfied they are with their performance in it.
Depending on what the problem is, the Occupational Therapist can help solve it by:
• Helping a client overcome their disability
• Adapting the materials or equipment used
• Recommending changes to the environment at their place of work
“We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.” - Sir Winston Churchill